Monday, April 11, 2011

One Jewish family's escape from Morocco

This blog is not the place to argue with John Fairfield, a Christian proponent of Interfaith Dialogue. But this extraordinary paragraph of his post in The Huffington Post caught my eye:

"I got evangelized by a Jew one day in Jerusalem, Enrique Jacobo [not his real name]. His family fled the Spanish Inquisition to Morocco. Generations later they fled Morocco, his father and mother bribing an official to let them go. The official said they could go with their two suitcases, but they must leave their two children behind. They emptied their suitcases, stabbed holes in them, put the children inside, and escaped to Algeria. From there the family flew in an animal crate to France -- the pilot couldn't figure out why there was no bleating coming from that crate, but they weren't discovered until just before landing. From there they took a boat designed for 1,500 with 5,000 people on board to Israel, that barely survived a violent storm in the south Adriatic."

Would those who claim that Jews did not leave Morocco as refugees please take note?

3 comments:

Sammish said...

Bataween,
I responded to John Fairfield on his post. Unfortunately I have spend almost 30 minutes writting, only to be told that my post exceeded the maximum allowed. I had to delete more than half of what I had originally written.

bataween said...

Good comment, Sammish - I agree with every word.

in the vanguard said...

Amazing how the yearning to go to Israel expresses itself is such heroic measures.